Take-away quotes from Bill Welty of the California Air Resources Board (not verbatim):
- Open Source software is an incredible morale booster. Much faster turnaround for changes.
- OSS protects access to your own data. We upgrade our hardware when we want to, not when the software is upgraded by the vendor and they require that you upgrade your hardware.
- Who sets the technology roadmap for your business--is it you or your vendors? Proprietary software may be easier to install, but it constrains your options to set the roadmap.
- With Open Source, you don't lose control of your data.
Marten Michos, the CEO of MySQL, on why there are fewer software bugs when your code is open:
- That which is seen gets improved. That's why front yards are much nicer than backyards.
- We love you and you love us.
- You can fly for free if you sign on as crew
- Some say "My Sequel." I say "My S-Q-L." But if you are a paying customer, you can say it any da*n way you want.